Monday, May 10, 2010

Solace in Nature.





I have been reading the diary of Anne Frank and especially adored these wise words from her

"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quite alone with the heavens, nature, and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature. As long as this exists, and it certainly always will, I know that then there w
ill always be comfort for every sorrow, what ever the circumstance may be..."

I always am certainly happy when I am out experiencing nature.
Flowers absolutely make my heart sing.
That's why I think I belong back in North Carolina sometimes. Where green moss grows on huge oak trees. Where the air is filled with the scent of sweetness from the gardenia bushes and honeysuckle vines. Where the grass is a great alternative for carpet. I love the south. I miss rivers, and the thick green leaf forests.

We live in the city and I have started potting some flowers and herbs. I have been answering their beck and call, in hopes to make them last till fall. It still gets quite cold out at night so I bring each of them inside the house and back outside in the morning to bask in the sunlight all day long.

I learned this year to plant desert plants with desert plants and not with the flowers that require more water. I did that last year and always had to drown the desert flowers because the others were dying from thirst.

My surroundings play a huge part in my own happiness. I'm good at the emotionally taxing things but, if I'm not surrounded by beauty and light I feel miserable. This was odd for me, but I felt a huge wave of emotion go through me when I was done planting these flowers, tears came to my eyes because of that simple beauty.

Happiness plays a different role in everyone's lives but these flowers are my little piece of happy.

Update: Eww I feel like a weenie admitting that I got misty eyed over flowers, don't judge me!


2 comments:

  1. I liked this post! :) I love flowers and nature too and don't worry, you're not the only one who gets misty eyed over flowers. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val I just read your Anne Frank quote:)..did you know that im going to be in that play next year?

    ReplyDelete

Me Likey Comments.